Thursday, January 8, 2009

Can the Theory of Constraints Actually Deal With Complex Systems and Complex Problems?

Ever since I attended the Odyssey Camp in July 2008, I have been nagged by the thought that the Theory of Constraints is not the universal problem solving tool that I thought it was. That was the motivation behind my TOC Wicked Problems Challenge which has yet to have at least one TOC practitioner give it a try. That doesn't prove that TOC is not valid but, if TOC is a powerful as it is touted to be, you would think at least one TOC advocate would give one of the problems a shot.

In the meantime, I am going to spend the next few months examining the fundamental assumptions of TOC to determine for myself if TOC is still valid or should be supplanted with another problem-solving methodology. Occasionally, I will post my reflections along this process. I will start with how valid TOC is in regards to systems theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment